Eating Healthy on the Fly!

Here’s a guest post from Cole on tips for eating healthy when traveling. As summer is fast approaching (and the perfect time for vacation getaway’s, this is a great topic and Cole has some excellent tips on maintaining your diet while traveling!

Tickets have been booked for months, bags are packed and ready to go and your goal weight has been reached!  Finally feeling camera ready after all the hard work and healthy eating, you’re ready to get this vacation started.  But what does the after look like?  There are several ways to integrate healthy eating into your vacation that will ensure that you’ll still turn heads in your fabulous goal outfit long after your dream vacation is over.

In order to set yourself up for success, it is important to put in a little bit of effort before leaving.  Booking a hotel that has a fitness center or has trails nearby encourages activity, which boosts your metabolism.  Additionally, hotels with kitchenettes are not only a money saver, but cooking your own meals will also help you stay on track with healthy eating.  If you cannot find a reasonably priced hotel with a kitchenette, consider bringing a small crockpot to prepare healthy chicken and vegetable based dishes.  Hotel coffee makers can also be used to heat water for oatmeal and soups, which are both healthy and inexpensive meal options. Determining which hotels have the amenities necessary for your healthy lifestyle can be difficult. I have found that reading reviews regarding restaurants and hotel prior to your arrival can be extremely helpful. I recently found a great site that had consumer reviews for the list of Las Vegas hotels I was considering ranging from their amenities offered, to the restaurants in the area, to the things to do in the city.

If your hotel offers a continental breakfast, fill up on fruit first. Fruit is high in fiber and vitamins and is a great morning choice.  Combine fruit with a high protein option such as eggs or meat and you will feel full for much longer.  Avoiding sweet breads and sugary cereals at breakfast will enable to you eat something with a higher calorie content later without feeling guilty for indulging.  Skipping sugary juices in favor of water is also helpful in maintaining a healthy caloric intake.

At a restaurant, eating healthy requires more determination but it can be done.  Many restaurants have their menus online, and it’s helpful to look it up to see what they offer.  Peruse the menu for dishes that include the words baked, boiled, broiled, fat free, fresh, grilled, high fiber, light, marinated, multi grain, reduced, red sauce, roasted, steamed, stir fried, vegetarian, vinaigrette, and whole wheat.  When ordering, don’t allow yourself to feel rushed but ask questions about possible healthier substitutions.  For side dishes, choose vegetables and if they aren’t offered, politely ask if it would be possible to include them in your meal.  If you’re not feeling confident about making healthy choices, just try to pick the most colorful meal option.  Generally speaking, colorful foods are healthier than their bland counterparts.

Applying an 80/20 rule for eating right on vacation can really assist with maintaining your weight while still letting yourself splurge while you’re out and about.  The rule is simple, 80% of your food consumption should be healthy, clean eating foods such as veggies, fruits, lean meats and complex carbohydrates.  The other 20% is yours to do with as you please.  Letting your guard down a bit while on vacation is no crime, but being strategic about when and how often to splurge is the key to coming home happy with yourself and your body.

About these ads

One thought on “Eating Healthy on the Fly!

  1. Hello!

    My name is Joanna and I have read your blog and I really liked your recipes! I work for a website called myTaste.com and I would love for you to join us! :)

    http://www.mytaste.com is a search engine that collects food blogs. We already have over 3000 blogs and if you join us you will take benefit from the trafic that we are sending to your blog.

    Add our widget and hopefully with your recipes your blog will be on the top of the food blogs list!
    If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me at info@mytaste.com

    To join myTaste, just go to http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    Best regards, Joanna
    mytaste.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s